I began this little story (and the project!) yesterday and now it’s done!! It went so smoothly…….well, there was a little glitch. The outer “cone”/petal shapes are not quite accurate. They need to be tapered a titch(?) more at the narrow end so it lays flat when put together. So, let’s get started with the photos (check yesterday’s post to get in on the very beginning)…………..today finds the ornaments fused to the “petals” and I’m at Miss Juki to finish this little item…………………………………………………. Before I layered the top on the batting, I did a stitching line around the ornaments to hold them securely (no, I don’t trust fusing!)
I SID (stitch in the ditch) through the center layers, also. The directions suggested invisible thread but I’m not a fan…….I have a tendency to have my iron too hot when I do a finish press…..not a good thing with that thread. Then I layered the top and batting.
Yes, I am doing all the FMQ (free motion quilting) using Miss Juki! I had totally forgotten how much fun it is and how beautifully she performs. This is a photo of the back (batting with the completed stitching). I layered it with a simple muslin backing. It is finished by stitching right sides together, leaving a small opening, then ‘flipping’ right-side-out. I usually don’t care for this method but there was no way I was going to do a binding on these scallops!!!!!! LOL! Before I turned it, I pressed the backing (only) over so that, when it was right side out, it would be easier to get a nice clean edge (without the backing wanting to come to the front). It’s not a perfect solution, but it helps a bit. A very acceptable finish. This is going to be a “thank you” gift, so it will be leaving soon.
Have a great rest-of-the-weekend!!! I have a birthday party to finish preparing for tomorrow. DH is nearing a multi-decade landmark and it really mustn’t go unacknowledged!!!! Til next time…………….