Another finish that is very seasonal! My friend, Alice’s (you can read the post about her here), DIL asked me to make a Christmas stocking for the latest (married in) addition to the family. Her granddaughter’s wedding was 1 week before Alice’s passing so this tradition was not brought “up to date”. Now it is! His name is Marc (with a ‘c’). And this is what my morning at the sewing machine (Miss Juki) produced…………… I quilted the muslin (front/back pieces), cut them out and applied the tree embellishment. Wow, was that fun!!!! The tree ‘branches’ are merely strips of homespun, that will fray over time, as is the strip holding the bell on. I used fusible interfacing to give the cuff enough stability to write his name. I wrote the name with a white pencil on a piece of black fabric, pinned it in place and free motion stitched a couple of times. Then I cut away some of the fabric……easy peasy “monogram”. I’m not one to readily drag out my embroidery floss………I much prefer the sewing machine! Above are two photos of the stitching I did. I used Sulky “Holoshimmer”. It changes colors a bit as your views shift. Cool stuff but a bit persnickety. I used a #14 (yes, that is large) “topstitch” needle. It provides the larger eye and deeper/longer groove in the shaft which serves to protect the ‘thread’. I brought my top tension way down, so as not to stretch the ‘thread’ as it comes through the discs. (Note: one way to check for this is to pull a length of the ‘thread’ at the needle and release it. If it ‘curls’, you have too much resistance and it will break…..guaranteed!) The other piece of advice is…….cut your speed. I adjusted my machine to less than half normal speed and even went a tad slower with fabulous results!! Absolutely no breakage!!!! Yay!
So, that’s it for today. Now, to “un-trash” my sewing studio!!! Til next time….