In a way that is quite practical……..why, in a quilt of course. I inherited many of my grandma’s linen’s, doilies, embroideries, tablecloths, etc, etc. Have you been in that position?? Not being able to say no, when the alternative is sending them off to total strangers, is what leads to my closet being filled to overflowing. Among them was a very ‘daily’ tablecloth that, for the most part, had protein stains and small holes but had bouquets of carnations printed on it. I put together a quilt top and fussy-cut the flowers to applique them on the top. This was in 2010 and the completed quilt was gifted to our DIL that Christmas. Here’s some old photos………..
The colors are not at all accurate but the idea is there. I had enough of the black/white charm squares , plus the light green sashing and Stonehenge border fabrics left to make myself one like it. I used half of the flowers on this one.
Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when I got busy and pieced another top and fused the rest of the flowers. This top will be much larger…..approx. 81”x88”. The previous one was around 55”x65”. I added a very wide pink outer border to get the larger size as this will be for our double sized bed. Although it has the appearance of a Spring/Summer bed covering, it will be our winter quilt. I am using a wool batt in this.
I used paper-backed fusible web and “thread sketched” the appliques to secure them on the top. I’m not one to do an edge stitch to secure the pieces. Most of the fabrics are from the Moda “Half Moon” charm pack. Updates soon………………………………….