Yesterday’s tease really wasn’t nice….was it. A strange looking foot and some very nice looking rulers. Let me delve into this a bit more. My search for a “ruler foot” for my Juki 2010 has taken me to many sites. Juki does not have one available specifically for this machine, so the ‘Westalee’ foot’ and another version (see here) range in price from $55 to $70 are possibilities. There are those who have discovered that the ruler foot, w/ the additional adaptor, made for the Janome Horizon will work. All a bit cost prohibitive when one then goes to purchase the specialty rulers to be used with this foot!
Enter my “think creatively/outside the box” mode. 2 free motion/darning feet came with the machine.
. In the above photo, you see the 2 items (that have springs and appear identical?). I figured I could take the larger one and modify it.
Important disclaimer: I assume no liability for such a modification to your machine. There are always risks when modifications are made after-market. Please, follow the package directions precisely to achieve a secure bonding!
Step 1: A quick trip to the hardware store for the “glue” and the items needed to add the necessary height/thickness to that “flat” foot.
Ready. I figured it would take 2 of the washers (stacked) to give me the perfect measurement with the existing part of the foot……….
Step 2: Following the JB Weld epoxy directions, the washers were “welded”/glued in place, allowed to dry and left to “cure”/rest til the next day, when I wanted to do some SID (stitch in the ditch) and “piano key” border. Photo proof………
And the final border…………..
Thread: (top) Mettler poly-sheen, 50 wt (bobbin) Connecting Threads Essential Pro poly, 70 wt. Batting: Hobbs Heirloom,cotton/poly (80/20). This was sewn and quilted on my Juki TL2010Q with a #14 “topstitch” needle.
But….. I’m not quite finished! The rulers I used were developed by and purchased from ‘fellow’ quilter/friend, Kelly Cline. Awesome!!!!! See the above link to view videos demo-ing their use. A “two-fer” is offered right now! My hands are small and moving both the fabric and the rulers using a DSM (domestic sewing machine) can be a might tricky if the rulers are a tad too large). Also, it’s so nice to have rounded corners (to avoid ‘catching’ the fabric!!). Great design!!!!